Over the weekend I had the opportunity to go back to High Point University for the commencement ceremony. One of my former students/players graduated and it was so fun to be included in the festivities.
I’ve only been back to HPU a handful of times since May 2009 and I left to become a real adult. While I was there this weekend, I kept thinking about 8 years and the ways my life has changed. I left as a single college grad and came back with my husband and toddler.
My current life looks nothing like the late nights in the library, the bars and clubs we went to in Greensboro, the final exams that were stressful, and eating every meal with friends in the cafeteria. My life has changed so much since that day.
In 8 years I’ve learned:
- how to meal plan and grocery shop
- that weekends away with friends are the best thing ever
- that an important part of marriage is learning how and when to communicate
- that parenthood makes you and your spouse more of a team
- that the amount you love or hate your career has a big impact on all the other pieces of your life
- that baby girl pigtails are the cutest things in the whole world
- that the most difficult journeys have made me who I am
- that being a coach is unlike any other experience
- that some friends are in your life for a season and that’s ok
- how much fun it is to go to a wine tasting event
- that you won’t always have roommates to borrow clothes from
- how the most horrible seasons of life make the glorious ones that much sweeter
- that being creative has many different definitions
- how to become increasingly more flexible
- that pregnancy is the most physically demanding thing ever
- that dry shampoo is life-changing
- how to plan a wedding to be the party of your life
- that road trips are the best place to select a name for your future child
- how much fun it is to have my sisters as aunties
- that working for a supportive, kind boss makes more of a difference than you realize
- that day-drinking is way better than late nights out
- that people who view life differently can still be an important confidant
These 8 years have been full of beautiful, iconic days; days that I’ll never forget. These 8 years have been full of lessons learned that have made me the person I am today. These 8 years have taught me what strength is; they’ve taught me what beauty is. These 8 years have been full of days that consist of work, dinner, laundry, and nothing out of the ordinary.
These 8 years give me so much hope for the next 8 years. I can’t help but wonder what life will be like in 2025. If I’ve learned anything in 8 years, it’s to stop making plans and enjoy the ride!
These sideways pictures make me want to throw this computer out the window. Or at the dog. Because they’re vertical in my edit screen and then horizontal when I view it. Again. Grrr. 😡👊🏼